Look at the goodies Babe brought back for me from her way-too-long time away! Cute shorts, a shirt that says “It’s owl good” *giggles*, cool notebooks, pens, coloured sharpie markers, highlighters, Twix minis, lime green cell case, two brightly colour tees you can’t see, a tank you can’t see, a booklight, beer mug double-shot glass… Loving it!
Yes, everything is backwards. Makes it more fun. 🙂
I’m thankful for:
- Having my Babe back 🙂
- The invitation to join the flag football team started by my sister’s work. Babe and I both went to practice yesterday evening, and had funnn! Everyone thinks I suck, but whatever.
- Supportive family and friends.
- Getting closer to making a decision on the job I’m going to take, and being able to share it with you all.
- The little things that inspire smiles and create good, happy feelings
- My ability to budget, manage cash, manipulate Excel/Numbers, and make financially sound decisions (when I want to).
- The gift of words.
- Use of a car while my cousin (boss) is away, so Babe and I can do errands, grocery shop, and have date nights.
- The date nights that we will have tonight and tomorrow night… Because when you don’t own a car, but have the use of one, you’ve just GOT to take advantage of it.
How was your week? Shared any cool photos on your blog? Give me the link! What are you thankful for this week? Any plans for the weekend?
What a weekend! Feels like it was a WEEK! Let me see how quickly and entertainingly I can catch you up…
- Babe got two free tickets for us to go to an old school event called “Boogie Nights.” My sister is into oldies and the “mature crowd” so we told her about it. It worked out perfectly. We all got to hang out together, and my sister was our ride. Babe’s friend showed up with her hubby too. We had a great time electric sliding, cha cha cha-ing, and twisting the night away.
- My sister was ready to go before Babe and I were. She left the car with us. We stayed for another 30 minutes or so, then decided to beat the crowd out the door. We both slept really well. Nothing like going to bed on a little tequila. (Don’t worry. We just had one drink each. But maaannn, my drink was STRONG!)
- I woke up in time to get ready for work. And iron clothes for the interview and stuff them in my bag without crushing them. But NOT in enough time to pack a good lunch. Just a package of Fruit & Nut.
- Interview for super awesome job! Oh, man. The DRAMA. I arranged from Wednesday for a ride with my mother. She said she would be working Saturday night, so she could do it. Well, she called me on Friday in a panic. She was about to sleep for work at 3:30pm when she decided to call Scheduling to see if she was a 7pm or 8pm. She was a 6pm. Now, if you work shifts, you know how it goes. Basically, she was in a mad rush to get ready, and realized that being a 6pm, it was possible that she’d be working Saturday MORNING, not night. (See, if she was an 8pm, there’s no way they could give her a shift for the next morning.) She said she’d just find a ride to work on Saturday is she WAS going to be a morning shift, so she’d drop the car to me at work. I’d drive to the interview, and BAM. Done.
- WELL. She was feeling sick and took TheraFlu and ended up oversleeping on Saturday. She slept until 10am. Had to be to work at 11am. She called my uncle to get her from my work, but he took too long, so she left. She told me to call the same uncle or her friend Staci for a ride. I called my sister (who drove me to work and said she’d be my backup) first. No answer. I later found out that I hung up right as she picked up. Dang it! Staci was in the middle of moving. No go. My uncle, I finally reached at 12:30. My interview was 1:40pm. On the other end of the island.
- He got here at 1pm. I got to the place and was hopping out of the car RIGHT as the woman came outside to get me. [insert biggest sad EVER here] I couldn’t believe it. Just my luck. “Are you Alicia?” I tried to look cheerful and said, “Yes, I am!” “You’re just getting here?” BURRRNNN! I was supposed to have been sitting on the porch waiting, with a form filled out. She took me straight in and said I could fill it out later. I shook myself out of it and appeared as relaxed and in-control as I could.
- The interview itself went pretty well. There were smiles. There was laughter and head nodding. They were very interested in a few of my experiences. It felt very comfortable and casual. I feel good about it. I just don’t know what my lateness did for me. She also asked if I have a car. Nooo, ma’am. BUT. A question on the form was, “Would you be willing to work from home?” HECK, YEZZZ!
- I’m trying to think positively, but not invest myself too much. I don’t like setting myself up for disappointment, but I don’t want to send negative energy into the universe either, ya know? Please cross your fingers AND toes for me. Send positive energy, hope and pray. For me. Please. I REALLY want this job. REALLY.
- My brother picked me up, as usual, for FamJam. We were super early because he picked up the ICE CREAM CAKE (can you tell that I was excited?!) for Ryan’s birthday. Had to get it in the freezer quickly.
- Ryan (4 y.o.) met us at the door. The fun began right away. Ryan is HILARIOUS. I love having children around on Sundays. They spice it up. Ryan lives on another island with his mother, so having him around is a real treat.
- I got the stuff. Mhmm. You know the stuff. That list I gave my dad? Yeaaaaah! Soap, toothpaste, shampoo, daily facial wipes. All very exciting things. Even some things I didn’t ask for like deodorant (but I don’t think he’s trying to tell me that I smell), NUTELLA (I LOVE YOU, DADDY!), and Fruit & Nut. But the big thing… The HUGE thing… DRUM ROLL PLEASE…
My Vibram FiveFingers!
I’m SO happy. And exciting! This is the Bikila model, and OF COURSE, I’d pick the ones with green in them. If/When I get another pair of this model, they’ll be the orange/magenta ones because they’re so BRIGHT and AWESOME-looking! These babies feel GREAT on my feet. I was worried about the fit, but they’re perfect. I’ll take ’em out for a run tomorrow. (Babe and I have a little dinner date this evening, so it can’t be today.) You can find out about these awesome shoes here.
Also, please note that my dad is GREAT. He never complains when I ask for things when he goes away. He’s quite happy to run around, getting whatever I need (or want). It helps that he likes shopping, I guess. Me? Not so much.
- Relaxing. Babe got up early to do some cleaning. I got up soon after to work on breakfast. We finished at about the same time, and got back into bed to eat. I made fresh toast (syrup for her, nutella for me), scrambled eggs, and turkey bacon. YUM! Babe made tea for us both when we were done eating.
- Then we had reading time. It was great. Babe’s reading To Kill A Mockingbird. For the FIRST TIME. Can you believe that?! I’m reading The Little Women (NOT for the first time). We read and slept and read.
- Babe made lunch. We had Ramen (Hey, we’re on a SERIOUS budget right now) and a salad. The salad was GREAT. Which is not surprising. Babe makes the BEST salads. I’ve never watched her make one, so I can’t really tell you what make them so awesome. I kind of don’t want to learn so she can keep doing it. MUAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAA. Anyway, they have a certain sour saltiness that mixes with some sort of sweetness that makes an amazing party in the mouth. WOW.
- We read more. I fell asleep. Babe got up and did things. And came back to read. We decided to go for a little bike ride in the evening.
- At about 6pm, we figured it was a good time. Not too much traffic, and not too much sun. It was nice. We rode on the sidewalk of a highway close by. It wasn’t a long one. Not for me, anyway. I’m used to walking and riding for a good bit. Babe? Not so much. I could tell she was tired, so we rolled up to the corner store to get a few essentials, then back home.
- Dinner. Homemade spaghetti. Babe made it. The meat sauce had a certain sweetness to it that I really appreciated. It was nice. I just wished we had a little parmesan cheese. We ran out at some point, and either don’t remember or don’t have the cash to get more. I also wished I thought of making garlic bread. I believe there’s more, so when we get into that, I’ll do some garlic bread.
- Made breaky this morning! Oatmeal. Babe and I ate it downtown since I have 20ish minute wait between buses to get to work. That was nice. Also packed apples + nutella and a pack of Fruit & Nut for snack. I love food. And having enough of it.
- At work, and feeling GREAT! The weekend was beautiful. I feel like it was the perfect combination of R&R and fun. It was a lot of things that I really enjoy – a little cousin, good food, family time, reading time, quiet time, extra sleep, bike ride, Babe… Yep. Was good!
- I’m trying not to think too much about the job. I already mentioned why. I’m just SO excited and hopeful. I sent them a letter. It’s sort of a Thank You (for the interview) + (in case you missed it) I’m awesooommme (and here’s a little reminder of HOW awesome I am! That’s the end of it, I think. I can’t do any more. I can’t make contact any more. I want them to know that I’m interested, but I’d like to NOT look like a crazy/desperate person. *takes deep breath* Yeah. I’m done.
- My cousin is in town. A pretty awesome cousin. Jessica. She lives on another island. I think we’ve met twice in person, both in the last 6 months or so. Babe and I are going to meet up with her and her friend at Arawak Cay (a strip with lots of native food stalls/restaurants). Another cousin of mine (Jessica’s aunt, Justina) is going to drop by too. I’m excited because I’ve met her daughter, but not her. We’re Facebook friends though. 🙂 Oh, hey! Jess and her friend have a blog. Check it out.
Wishing you smiles and laughs today!
What was the highlight of your weekend? How did you spend your last day off?
Hey, hey, heyyy!
I’m so happy it’s Monday. Just for it to be another day is great. Here’s what’s been going on lately:
- I’m working on my regular day off (today) so that I can get Thursday (moving day) off. It was hard to come back to work after just one day off. I’m used to Sunday+Monday being my weekend.
- I need to look into getting a few boxes for the move. I’m planning to dump pretty much everything into garbage bags, but the pots, pans, plates, etc. will require a bit more. Newspaper wrapping, maybe plastic bags, and boxes. I also need to decide on a time to borrow one of my cousin’s employees along with his work truck. Moving shouldn’t take too long. It’s just that Babe and I are moving from two different places.
- Went to FamJam (Sunday dinner at great-gram’s) yesterday. I missed the last one and it was a big deal, mostly because I have no phone that people can reach me on to confirm that I am alive. No lowness was thrown. Amazing.
- Ma went away two weeks ago. Since I missed last week’s FamJam, I got my prezzies yesterday. A cute, colorful summer dress, hanger clothespins which I’ve always wanted and just managed to ask for, and two pairs of not-so-short shorts. It was funny because Ma said, “I guess you could sleep in ’em. I know you like ’em shorter than that to wear out.” Ahahahahahaha. Yes. I like poom pooms (pronounced p’m-p’m).
- Dad brought me a box of Fruit & Nut which I freaking LOVE. ANNNNND… NUTELLA! Winniiiiing!
- Saturday was the worst day of work ever. Cable was down. That means no internet. The ENTIRE. DAY. AT WORK. No internet. On top of that, only one generator of the two was working (and this is still the case today). Sadly, the one that isn’t working is the one that powers the a/c in my office. An office with no windows. It was gross. I spent most of the day at the warehouse gate, catching a little breeze. Then the rain came pouring down. For hours. It felt great, being misted by it. Needless to say, I did absolutely no work on Saturday. *shrugs*
- Someone I know (who is close – and related – to someone very close to me) is very ill, and in hospital. Really, I only met her once, but that was enough. We probably talked for less than 30 minutes, but it was such interesting, friendly conversation. You know when you speak to someone, and it’s like you’ve known them forever? It’s like whatever you don’t know about them doesn’t really matter, because all you can see is goodness, kindness, and sincerity? I don’t remember all of what we talked about, but I remember feeling like I could talk to her about whatever, whenever. Well, that very nice lady is in need of all the hope, prayers, and positivity that we can muster up for her. If you hope, or pray, or believe in the law of attraction, or the power of positive thinking… Anything like that… Please think of this lady. We’ll call her “B.”
- My brother is freaking hilarious. He picked me up from work on Saturday because it was raining and thundering too much for me to ride home. I got off at 5:30, and didn’t end up home until after 8pm. We rode around doing a lot of foolishness. Stopped by a friend’s bar for a few games of dominoes. I whipped the boys’ butts really good. The scores were 5-2-2-0. Hahahaha. I’m quiet, but deadlyyyyyyy.
- Babe is the absolute best. We had a great pasta, tuna, and salad meal the other night. This morning, Babe got up the same time as me, and worked on my lunch while I got ready. I wish I could take a picture to show you. I have a turkey sandwich, animal crackers, mango, raisins, and sour cream & onion pringles. And a Coke. I am blessed beyond anything I could imagine to have a love so great, and to always FEEL it.
Hope your week is off to a great start. Remember: Even though you can’t always control your circumstance, happiness is still a decision you can make every single day. I encourage you to do it. Be happy. Be positive. Be the best you that you can be. 🙂