There’s a lot going on right now. A. LOT. Apartment moving, job hunting, money spending, no saving, working with limited resources, limited grocery items, setting up new utilities, dealing with breaking a lease, wanting to be in another country… Yeah. A lot. Still, I’m alive. I’m breathing without the help of any machines. I have enough to eat. I have water to drink. I have hot water to shower in. I should be listing these, huh?
Some people are always grumbling
because roses have thorns;
I am thankful
that thorns have roses.
– Alphonse Karr
Reasons to be thankful:
- Job (Whether I like it or not. I get paid.)
- Babe (More beautiful every single day, I’m tellin’ ya!)
- New place (apartment) to live
- My cousin (in hospital with dengue fever) is doing much better
- I brought my lunch today, and it should be good
- The weather is looking better, and I should be able to cycle home this evening (I’ve been getting rides all week)
- I’m now on the letter “N” in the telephone directory (I’m going through it to find business to send my resume to)
- Random things that make me smile during the day
is to open our eyes to the countless ways
in which we are supported by the world around us.
Such a life provides less space for our suffering
because our attention is more balanced.
We are more often occupied
with noticing what we are given,
thanking those who have helped us,
and repaying the world in some concrete way
for what we are receiving.
Naikan: Gratitude, Grace & the Japanese Art of Self-Reflection