I love weekends. So much chillin’. A little extra sleeping. Time to run. One of my new favourite things – yoga. Family time. It’s the perfect thing to happen between weekdays. Aaaah! Weekends!
On Saturday, I did (what is now) the usual run and yoga. I left a bit later than usual, so I did a 10 minute run instead of the usual 15 or 20 minutes. I checked my pace about halfway in, and was rather surprised. It was somewhere around 8’30″. That’s pretty fast for me. Anyway, I kept going. At the end, Tiger Woods’ voice told me that I clocked my fastest mile. WHAT?! I did WHAT?! I just did that two weeks go. I’m FASTER?! AGAIN?! I went to the history section of my Nike Fitness on my iPod and, sure enough, I’d run a 7’17″ mile! This is HUGE. Just two weeks before, I ran 15 minutes without stopping for the first time. I was used to running 3″ and walking 1″. All of a sudden, I could just keep going. I am SUPER PUMPED and pleased with myself. Even though I’m not running as much as I should, I’m making progress. I feel encouraged to do more. I’m definitely going to toss all my running clothes in the car tomorrow (so I don’t have to keep doing it every day), and stop for my run on the way home. I think I should be able to do 15 minutes for the next or so, and see when I can increase to 20 minutes. Today, I shall treat myself to a giant slice of chocolate cake.
Yoga class went really well. I felt the right amount of challenge, and the right amount of ease and relaxation. I think I may actually be gaining a lot from it. Muscle strength, self/body-awareness, relaxation… I love it. My mum told me on Friday that she’d be there, no matter what time she had to work. I’m not sure how well it worked out for her because she’s very conscientious about work and getting there on time. I think she spent a lot of time wondering what time it was, and she left before we finished the final relaxation. Hopefully, she get Saturdays off. I think I’ll call her scheduling manager and talk to her about it. I know her well, and she’s one of the sweetest people ever.
After yoga, I went to pick up my 4 year old cousin, Ryan. He’s HILARIOUS. He lives on another island with his mother, but she came for a funeral. His dad went to the funeral too, so I became the babysitter. Here are a few funny moments:
- Randomly, in the car, he said, “Aliciaaaaa.” I said, “Yeah?” He said, “Your shoes are silly!” I had to laugh. He was talking about my Vibrams. I guess they look kinda weird. Hahaha. I didn’t know he noticed them, but didn’t comment. He must’ve known what I was thinking, because he said, “I saw them when you picked me up.” Hahahaha.
- We passed a big parking lot where about 50 males were in line, standing at attention. They were wearing camouflage pants and black shirts. I figured they were in training to join the Defense Force (our version of marines/military). I said, “Look, Ryan! All those men are lined up. They must be practicing for something.” Ryan: “They practicing for the national anthem.” Me: “You think so?” Ryan: “Yeah. That’s how ya do it!”
- Out of nowhere, he said, “Ma is not in charge. My daddy and me in charge.” I laughed a little. Ma is my 92 year old great-grandmother, and she is very much in charge. Of EVERYthing. She runs the show. Me: “Who told you that?” Ryan: No one. Ma is OLD. She can’t do NUTTIN.” Ahahahaha. I was glad to be on a red light, because it took me a while to stop laughing and focus on the road. Ma can do EVERYthing. She cooks, drives, cleans, travels… Hell. She just stopped working a little over a year ago! When I told his dad what he said, the response was, “Yeah, he just got here. He has no idea.” Hahahaha.
- When I asked him what he wanted for lunch, he said, “Crabby patty, no cheese.” I asked where we get it from, and he had no answer. I asked him if Spongebob and Mr. Crab have them. He said, “Yes, but not in the BAHAMASSSSS!” Silly me.
- He told me that he doesn’t like juice. I asked him what he likes to drink. “Root beer. It’s a soda.” Well, Ryan, thanks for clearing that up. I was worried.
On Sunday, I went to the FamJam, as usual. My good friend Vanessa was in the area, and stopped by for a minute to collect some cash. We are working on a secret project that I won’t be able to reveal to you until the upcoming weekend has passed. It’s our (Babe+me, not Vanessa… Lol) one-year anniverary weekennnnnd! Ryan entertained me while we waited for everyone else to arrive and have lunch. The child is HILARIOUS. I don’t know how else to describe him.
What are your highlights from the weekend? Do you have any super-funny children in your life? Any one-liners you’d like to share?